Comparing Dental Implants & Dental Bridges
Trying to decide whether you should get dental implants or a dental bridge to restore your smile? At Gallery Dental in North Richland Hills, TX we are proud to offer both treatments and are happy to help you decide.
About Dental Implants
A dental implant is a permanent way to replace a missing tooth/teeth and is typically comprised of three parts, the implant, the abutment and the prosthetic. Tiny screws are implanted into the jawbone to provide a secure foundation which the abutments and prosthetics can be attached to.
Pros of Dental Implants
- With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Dental implants require no dietary restrictions.
- Dental implants require no modification to natural teeth.
- Dental implants require no other teeth for support.
- Dental implants are designed to look, feel and function like a natural tooth.
Cons of Dental Implants
- Dental implant treatment is not quick.
- Dental implants require good oral health.
- Dental implants require a specific amount of bone.
- Dental implant treatment is expensive.
- Dental implants make require bone grafting.
About Dental Bridges
A dental bridge is a dental appliance which is used to close the gap created by missing teeth. Typically a dental bridge is secured using adjacent healthy teeth and dental crowns, however, in certain situations, dental implants may be used.
Pros of Dental Bridges
- Dental bridges require no dietary restrictions.
- Dental bridges can prevent teeth from shifting and misalignment due to missing teeth.
- Dental bridge treatment is quick.
- Dental bridges are cheaper than dental implants.
Cons of Dental Bridges
- Dental bridges require modification of adjacent natural teeth.
- Dental bridges can limit dental care of the supporting teeth.
- Dental bridges do not look as natural as dental implants.